All Hallows Evening Prayer for Wednesday Evening (August 11, 2021)

 

Evening Prayer

The Service of Light

Jesus Christ is the light of the world.
A light no darkness can extinguish.

Open this link in a new tab to hear Michael John Trotta’s choral arrangement of “O Gracious Light.”

O gracious Light,
pure brightness
of the everliving Father in heaven.
O Jesus, Christ, holy and blessed!

Now as we come to the setting of the sun,
and our eyes behold the vesper light,
we sing your praises, O God:
Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

You are worthy at all times
to be praised,
You are worthy at all times
to be praise,
You are worthy at all times,
worthy to be praised,
praised by happy voices,
O Son of God, Giver of light,
you are worthy to be glorified
through all the worlds.

O gracious Light,
O gracious Light,
pure brightness
of the everliving Father in heaven.
O Jesus, Christ, holy and blessed!
O gracious Light, gracious Light,
pure brightness
of the everliving Father in heaven.
Jesus, Christ, holy and blessed!
Holy and blessed!
Holy and blessed!

Thanksgiving

Let us give thanks to the Lord our God.
It is right to give our thanks and praise.

Blessed are you, Sovereign God,
our light and our salvation,
eternal creator of day and night,
to you be glory and praise for ever.
Now, as darkness is falling,
hear the prayer of your faithful people.
As we look for your coming in glory,
wash away our transgressions,
cleanse us by your refining fire
and make us temples of your Holy Spirit.
By the light of Christ,
dispel the darkness of our hearts
and make us ready to enter your kingdom,
where songs of praise for ever sound.
Blessed be God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
Blessed be God for ever. Amen.

Psalm 141 is sung and incense may be burned.

Open this link in a new tab to hear Peter Inwood’s responsorial setting of Psalm 141, “O Lord, Let My Prayer Rise Before You Like Incense.”


O Lord, let my prayer rise before you like incense,
my hands like an evening offering.


1 Lord, I am calling:
hasten to help me.
Listen to me as I cry to you.
Let my prayer rise before you like incense,
my hands like an evening offering.

O Lord, let my prayer rise before you like incense,
my hands like an evening offering.


2 Lord, set a guard at my mouth,
keep watch at the gate of my lips.
Let my heart not turn to things that are wrong,
to sharing the evil deeds done by the sinful.
No, I will never taste their delights.

O Lord, let my prayer rise before you like incense,
my hands like an evening offering.

3 The good may reprove me,
in kindness chastise me,
but the wicked shall never anoint my head.
Ev’ry day I counter their malice with prayer.

O Lord, let my prayer rise before you like incense,
my hands like an evening offering.


4 To you, Lord, my God, my eyes are turned:
in you I take refuge;
do not forsake me.
Keep me from the traps they have set for me,
from the snares of those who do evil.

O Lord, let my prayer rise before you like incense,
my hands like an evening offering.


5 Praise to the Father, praise to the Son,
all praise to the life-giving Spirit.
As it was, is now and shall always be
for ages unending. Amen.

O Lord, let my prayer rise before you as incense,
my hands like an evening offering.


Silence is kept.

Let the incense of our repentant prayer ascend before you, O Lord, and let your loving kindness descend upon us, that with purified minds we may sing your praises with the Church on earth and the whole heavenly host, and may glorify you forever and ever. Amen.

The Psalms

Open this link in a new tab to hear Christopher Walker’s adaptation of Psalm 27, “The Lord Is My Light, My Help, My Salvation.”

The Lord is my light, my help, my salvation.
Why should I fear? With God I fear no one.
God protects me all my life.
With the Lord what should I dread?

The Lord is my light, the Lord is my help,
The Lord is my salvation.


There is one thing I ask, of the Lord that I long for:
All of my days with God to be dwelling.
Gazing with awe at the beauty of God,
And in wonder look on God's house.

The Lord is my light, the Lord is my help,
The Lord is my salvation.


I know I will live to see the Lord's goodness;
Now, in this life, I'm sure I will see it.
Trust in the Lord, be strong and be brave;
Wait in hope for God, our salvation.

The Lord is my light, the Lord is my help,
The Lord is my salvation.


Silence is kept.

God, our light and our salvation,
illuminate our lives,
that we may see your goodness in the land of the living,
and, looking on your beauty,
may be changed into the likeness of Jesus Christ our Lord.
Amen

Open this link in a new tab to hear Marty Haugen’s “Awake, O Sleeper.”

Awake, O sleeper. Arise from death.
Abandon the shadows of the night.
The wind of the Spirit will be your breath,
and Christ will fill you with light.


1 Once you were darkness.
Once you were lost in the shadows.
Once you were darkness.
Now you are children of light.

Awake, O sleeper. Arise from death.
Abandon the shadows of the night.
The wind of the Spirit will be your breath,
and Christ will fill you with light.


2 Live as God's people.
Live as God's justice and mercy,
filled with compassion,
filled with the power of love.

Awake, O sleeper. Arise from death.
Abandon the shadows of the night.
The wind of the Spirit will be your breath,
and Christ will fill you with light.


3 Shine out with the splendor of love.
Shine with justice and righteousness.
Sing the music your spirit has heard,
the songs of glory and light!

[Instrumental interlude]

Sleeper, awake;
O sleeper, awake;
O sleeper, awake;
O sleeper, awake;
O sleeper, awake;
O sleeper, awake.

Awake, O sleeper. Arise from death.
Abandon the shadows of the night.
The wind of the Spirit will be your breath,
and Christ will fill you with light.

Awake, O sleeper. Arise from death.
Abandon the shadows of the night.
The wind of the Spirit will be your breath,
and Christ will fill you with light;
and Christ will fill you with light.


The Proclamation of the Word

The Reading

Ephesians 5: 1-14 Renounce Pagan Ways

Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children, and live in love, as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us, a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.

But fornication and impurity of any kind, or greed, must not even be mentioned among you, as is proper among saints. Entirely out of place is obscene, silly, and vulgar talk; but instead, let there be thanksgiving. Be sure of this, that no fornicator or impure person, or one who is greedy (that is, an idolater), has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God.

Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of these things the wrath of God comes on those who are disobedient. Therefore do not be associated with them. For once you were darkness, but now in the Lord you are light. Live as children of light—for the fruit of the light is found in all that is good and right and true. Try to find out what is pleasing to the Lord. Take no part in the unfruitful works of darkness, but instead expose them. For it is shameful even to mention what such people do secretly; but everything exposed by the light becomes visible, for everything that becomes visible is light. Therefore it says,

“Sleeper, awake!
Rise from the dead,
and Christ will shine on you.”

Silence is kept.

May your word live in us
and bear much fruit to your glory

The Homily

Live as Children of Light

In today’s reading Paul warns the Ephesians against living the way that they lived before they became disciples of Jesus, doing and saying the things which they did and said before they became his disciples. He goes on to tell them to not let anyone deceive them with what he describes as the “empty words.” This appears to be a reference to the belief that if we believe in Jesus, we are free to live as we please. We can be loose with sin, and we can live in sin. Jesus’ death on the cross cancelled all sins and therefore there is no need to pursue a life of holiness and godliness.

Paul draws to the attention of the Ephesians that they who once were darkness now in the Lord are light. He exhorts them, “Live as children of light—for the fruit of the light is found in all that is good and right and true.” He further urges them, “Try to find out what is pleasing to the Lord.”

One way of explaining what Paul is saying is that believing in Jesus means accepting him not just as our Savior but also as our Lord. We become citizens of God’s kingdom. We are no longer citizens of this world. It means a change in our way of life. Life in the kingdom is different from life in the world. God’s grace working in us, having brought us to faith in Jesus, now transforms us, restoring the image of God in us marred by sin and making us in every way like Jesus.

What Paul is telling the Ephesians and us is that we play an active part in this process. We cooperate with God’s grace working in us, in our hearts and in our lives. Theologians call this process sanctification. We are being “hallowed,” to use an old English term, made holy, as a vessel, filled with the presence of God, filled with the Holy Spirit.

How then do we discern what is “good and right and true?” How do we go about trying to find out what is “pleasing to the Lord?”

Historically Christians have done this in several ways. The four most common are the Bible, sacred tradition, natural revelation, and special revelation from the Holy Spirit.

Some Christian traditions believe that in Bible, in the Old Testament and the New Testament, God reveals what he sees as “good and right and true.” God reveals what is pleasing to him.

Some Christian traditions also believe that God does the same in what they call “Sacred Tradition,” the traditions that their branch of the Christian Church upholds.

Some Christian traditions believe that what is “good and right and true” and what is pleasing to God can in part be discerned from natural revelation, through the observation of nature, the world around us; philosophy; and reasoning. It is the kind of knowledge which is believed to be available to everyone but that may not necessarily be the case.

A few Christian traditions maintain that God reveals what he sees as “good and right and true” and what is pleasing to him to certain individuals who have a special anointing of the Holy Spirit.

All four ways of discerning what is “good and right and true” and what is pleasing to God have inherent dangers. This last way is the most dangerous. We can misinterpret the Bible. The traditions that we may uphold, while they may be ancient and shared by other Christian traditions, can be a mistake. What we deduce by natural means may also be wrong. If we rely on individuals who claim to have a direct line to God, we risk not only confusing the unfruitful works of darkness with the fruit of light but also embracing what is displeasing to God.

Where we will find what is “good and right and true” is in Jesus, in Jesus’ words and deeds, in every word and deed that mirrors Jesus. We will also find what is pleasing to God there too.

The key is Jesus’ paraphrasing of Isaiah 54:13 in John 6:45. “And they will be taught by God.” If we believe that God was present in Jesus in a very special way, that Jesus was God himself, in the person of the Son, enrobed in human flesh, then his teaching and example are no ordinary teaching and example. In Jesus God was not only present, reconciling us to himself, but he was also present, teaching and showing us how we can live as children of light, where we will find the fruit of the light, what is pleasing to God.

I suspect that for many of us, when Jesus’ teaching is mentioned, our first thought is Jesus’ “love commandments” as they are often called. The Great Commandment to love God with every atom of our being and to love our neighbor as ourselves. To love our enemies, those who may hate and despise us and wish us ill, to return good for evil, to do good toward them even though they may not do good toward us. The Golden Rule to do to others what we would wish done to us—to treat them with kindness, respect, generosity, and compassion. The New Commandment to love one another as Jesus loved us, to show the same self-sacrificing love toward our fellow Christians, our brothers and sisters in Christ, as Jesus showed us, suffering and dying on the cross to put things right between God and ourselves. To see in everyone our neighbor, not just those like ourselves but all people.

While these precepts are an important part of what Jesus taught and practiced while he was here on earth, they are not all that he taught and practiced. He taught us to forgive others, not once or twice, but ad infinitem, again and again. Jesus taught us not to hang onto anger and to give opportunity for evil one to exploit our anger and to use it to do harm to us and to others. He taught us that when we have a falling out with someone, when something comes between us, we should tackle it right away. We should seek to restore friendly relations between them and ourselves, to live in harmony with each other. Jesus taught that God is not impressed by long, wordy prayers, filled with “vain repetitions.” God desires good for us and will answer our prayers. Jesus also encouraged us to be persistent in prayer, persistent like the man who knocked on his neighbor’s door late at night, asking for three loaves of bread; persistent like the widow who did not give up when the unjust judge did not show her compassion. She kept on approaching him until he fulfilled her request and did what she asked. Reading and studying the Gospels will give us a better idea of all that Jesus taught and practiced.

If we discern what appears to be a conflict between what Jesus teaches or practices in a particular passage of a Gospel and his teaching and example elsewhere in the Gospel, it is a good practice to look at what is said in the entire Gospel on that matter and at what is said in the other Gospels.

Jesus’ teaching and example also provide us with a lens through which we can view and understand the Old Testament and the writings of the apostles. The Old Testament in many passages anticipates what Jesus taught and practiced and Jesus himself drew upon these passages in the truths and principles that he taught and which he exemplified. The apostles in their writings echo Jesus’ teaching and draw attention to his example.

In his teaching Jesus points to this truth. Loving God calls for loving what God loves and loving what God loves in turn calls for loving what God loves in the way that God loves it. It is a truth on which we may wish to reflect during the week. It is a truth which, if we act upon it, will help us to live as children of light. It is a truth that will help us to be imitators of God, as beloved children; to live in love as Jesus himself loved us.

The Gospel Canticle

Open this link in a new tab to hear Marty Haugen’s adaptation of the Magnificat, “My Soul Proclaims the Greatness of God.”

My soul proclaims the greatness of God,
Rejoicing in God my Savior.
The Holy One has raised me up,
I live in God’s love and favour.


1 The Mighty One works great thinks in me:
My soul rejoices in God.
All faithful servants God’s mercy shall see:
My soul rejoices,
sings and rejoices,
gladly rejoices in God.


My soul proclaims the greatness of God,
Rejoicing in God my Savior.
The Holy One has raised me up,
I live in God’s love and favour.


2 The arm of God is justice and might:
My soul rejoices in God.
God puts the proud and the scheming to flight:
My soul rejoices,
sings and rejoices,
gladly rejoices in God.


My soul proclaims the greatness of God,
Rejoicing in God my Savior.
The Holy One has raised me up,
I live in God’s love and favour.


3 God topples ev’ry tyrant and crown:
My soul rejoices in God.
The lowly raised and the mighty brought down:
My soul rejoices,
sings and rejoices,
gladly rejoices in God.


My soul proclaims the greatness of God,
Rejoicing in God my Savior.
The Holy One has raised me up,
I live in God’s love and favour.


4 With wondrous things God’s banquet is spread:
My soul rejoices in God.
The rich go hungry; the hungry are fed:
My soul rejoices,
sings and rejoices,
gladly rejoices in God.


My soul proclaims the greatness of God,
Rejoicing in God my Savior.
The Holy One has raised me up,
I live in God’s love and favour.


[Coda]

Intercessions

Let us complete our evening prayer to the Lord.
Lord have mercy.

For peace from on high and our salvation, let us pray to the Lord.
Lord have mercy.

For the welfare of all churches and for the unity of the human family, let us pray to the Lord.
Lord have mercy.

For (name), our bishop, and (name), our pastor, and for all ministers of the Gospel, let us pray to the Lord.
Lord have mercy.

For our nation, its government, and for all who serve and protect us, let us pray to the Lord.
Lord have mercy.


For this city (town, university, monastery…). For every city and community, and for all those living in them, let us pray to the Lord.
Lord have mercy.

For the good earth which God has given us and for the wisdom and will to conserve it, let us pray to the Lord.
Lord have mercy.

For the safety of travelers, the recovery of the sick, the care of the destitute and the release of prisoners, let us pray to the Lord.
Lord have mercy.

For an angel of peace to guide and protect us, let us pray to the Lord.
Lord have mercy.

For a peaceful evening and a night free from sin, let us pray to the Lord.
Lord have mercy.

For a Christian end to our lives and for all who have fallen asleep in Christ, let us pray to the Lord.
Lord have mercy.

In the communion of the Holy Spirit (and of all the saints), let us commend ourselves and one another to the living God through Christ our Lord.
To you, O Lord.

Free Prayer

In silent or spontaneous prayer all bring before God the concerns of the day.

The Collect

Grant to us, Lord, we beseech you,
the spirit to think and do always such things as are right,
that we, who cannot do anything that is good without you,
many by you be enabled to live according to your will;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

The Lord's Prayer

And now, as our Saviour has taught us,
we are bold to say,

Our Father, who art in heaven,
hallowed be thy name;
thy kingdom come;
thy will be done;
on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our trespasses,
as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation;
but deliver us from evil.
For thine is the kingdom,
the power, and the glory
for ever and ever.
Amen.


Dismissal

Open this link in a new tab to hear Douglas Nolan’s choral arrangement of Karen Crane’s “Where There Is Love.”

Where there is love,
doors are opened
hope restored
and fears released.
Where there is love
the path is clear.
Oh, let the light of love live in me.

Where there is love,
hearts are mended,
grace bestowed
and souls redeemed.
Where there is love,
we can begin.
Oh, let the light of love live in me.

Oh, let God’s love flow through me,
like the air I breathe,
every word that I say
be a testament of grace.
In my song, in my prayer,
love will flourish there.
Love will heal and restore.
Let me shine love’s light evermore.

Where there is love,
chains are broken,
spirits soar,
and hearts are set free.
Where there is love,
All things are possible.
Oh, let the light of love live in me.
Let the light of love live in me.
Let there be love.

The Lord be with you.
The Lord bless you.
Let us praise the Lord,
Thanks be to God.

Open this link in a new tab to hear Christopher Walker’s choral benediction, “May God Bless and Keep You.”

May God bless and keep you.
May God's face shine on you.
May God be kind to you
and give you peace.

May God bless and keep you.
May God's face shine on you.
May God be kind to you
and give you peace.

[Instrumental interlude]

May God bless and keep you.
May God's face shine on you.
May God be kind to you
and give you peace.

May God bless and keep you.
May God's face shine on you.
May God be kind to you
and give you peace.

Comments