All Hallows Evening Prayer for Saturday Evening (November 21, 2020)


Evening Prayer 


The Service of Light

Jesus Christ is the light of the world.
A light no darkness can extinguish.

Open this link in a new tab to hear Carl P. Schalk choral setting of the Phos Hilaron, “Joyous Light of Glory.”

Joyous light of glory of the immortal Father,
Heavenly, holy, blessed Jesus Christ,
We have come to the setting of the Sun
And we look to the evening light.
We sing to God, the Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
You are worthy of being praised with pure voices forever.
O Son of God, O Giver of life,
The universe proclaims your glory.

Thanksgiving

Let us give thanks to the Lord our God.
It is right to give our thanks and praise.

We praise you, O Lord our God, Ruler of the universe!
Your word brings on the dusk of evening,
your wisdom creates both night and day.
You determine the cycles of time,
arrange the succession of the seasons,
and establish the stars in their heavenly courses.
Lord of the starry hosts is your name.
Living and eternal God,
rule over us always.
Blessed be the Lord,
whose word makes evening fall.
Amen.

Psalm 141 is sung and incense may be burned.

Open this link in a new tab to hear Peter Inwood’s setting of Psalm 141, “O Lord, Let My Prayer Rise Before You Like Incense.”

O Lord, let my prayer rise before you like incense,
my hands like an evening offering.


1. Lord, I am calling:
hasten to help me.
Listen to me as I cry to you.
Let my prayer rise before you like incense,
my hands like an evening offering.

O Lord, let my prayer rise before you like incense,
my hands like an evening offering.


2. Lord, set a guard at my mouth,
keep watch at the gate of my lips.
Let my heart not turn to things that are wrong,
to sharing the evil deeds done by the sinful.
No, I will never taste their delights.

O Lord, let my prayer rise before you like incense,
my hands like an evening offering.


3. The good may reprove me,
in kindness chastise me,
but the wicked shall never anoint my head.
Ev’ry day I counter their malice with prayer.

O Lord, let my prayer rise before you like incense,
my hands like an evening offering.

4 To you, Lord, my God, my eyes are turned:
in you I take refuge;
do not forsake me.
Keep me from the traps they have set for me,
from the snares of those who do evil.

O Lord, let my prayer rise before you like incense,
my hands like an evening offering.


5 Praise to the Father, praise to the Son,
all praise to the life-giving Spirit.
As it was, is now and shall always be
for ages unending. Amen.

O Lord, let my prayer rise before you as incense,
my hands like an evening offering.


Silence is kept.

Let the incense of our repentant prayer ascend before you, O Lord, and let your loving kindness descend upon us, that with purified minds we may sing your praises with the Church on earth and the whole heavenly host, and may glorify you forever and ever. Amen.

The Psalms

Open this link in a new tab to hear the Crown and the Covenant’s choral arrangement of the hallel psalm, “Psalm 117—Praise the Lord.”

Praise the Lord! Praise the Lord!
All you nations.
Extol him! Extol him!
All you peoples.
For great is his love toward us,
and the faithfulness of the Lord
endures forever.

Praise the Lord! Praise the Lord!
All you nations.
Extol him! Extol him!
All you peoples.
For great is his love toward us,
and the faithfulness of the Lord
endures forever.

Silence is kept.

Gracious God,
we praise you for your faithfulness
and pray that every nation may find your blessing
in the face of Jesus Christ our Lord.
Amen.

The Proclamation of the Word

The Reading

The Holy Gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ according to Matthew.
Glory to you, Lord Jesus Christ.

At that time the disciples came to Jesus and asked, “Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?” He called a child, whom he put among them, and said, “Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Whoever becomes humble like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. Whoever welcomes one such child in my name welcomes me.

The Gospel of Christ
Praise to you, Lord Jesus Christ.

Silence is kept.

Homily

True Greatness 

“Whoever becomes humble like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.”

What does it then mean to be humble?

Being humble can be defined several ways.

The humble are humble not only in demeanor but also in spirit. To borrow a phrase from the songs of the Shakers, they “bow and bend unto God’s will.” They are not stiff-necked as the Bible tells us the people of Israel were, refusing to submit to God’s will and going their own way.

The humble recognize their dependence upon God’s grace as children recognize their dependence upon the care of their parents and others. They accept that if God were not working in them to will and do his good pleasure, they could do nothing to please him.

The humble are free from pride, arrogance, haughtiness, and contempt of others. They do not have an inflated view of themselves. They do not see themselves as superior to others. They do not treat others as inferior to themselves.

The humble are self-effacing. They do not seek to be the center of attention. They are not obsessed with the praise and adulation of others.

The humble are meek—gentle, kindly, and patient during suffering. They follow Jesus’ example.

The humble do not pick and choose from Jesus’ teaching, keeping only his words that are pleasing to them. But as true disciples they wholeheartedly embrace his teaching.

Only those who “bow low” as the Shakers put it and become humble will be honored in God’s kingdom. After all, God’s kingdom is his righteous reign over our hearts and lives. Only in the hearts and lives of those who bend to God’s will is Jesus truly Lord.

Silence is kept.

The Gospel Canticle

Open this link in a new tab to hear Chaz Bower’s choral arrangement of “My Soul Proclaims Your Greatness, Lord.”

My soul proclaims your greatness, Lord;
I sing my Savior’s praise!
You looked upon my lowliness,
and I am full of grace.
Now ev’ry land and ev’ry age
this blessing shall proclaim—
great wonders you have done for me,
and holy is your name.


To all who live in holy fear
Your mercy ever flows.
With mighty arm you dash the proud,
Their scheming hearts expose.
The ruthless you have cast aside,
the lowly throned instead;
the hungry filled with all good things,
the rich sent off unfed.


To Israel, your servant blest,
your help is ever sure;
the promise to our parents made
their children will secure.
Sing glory to the Holy One,
give honor to the Word,
and praise the Pow’r of the Most High,
one God, by all adored,
on God, by all adored.

Intercessions

Let us complete our evening prayer to the Lord.
Lord have mercy.

For peace from on high and our salvation, let us pray to the Lord.
Lord have mercy.

For the welfare of all churches and for the unity of the human family, let us pray to the Lord.
Lord have mercy.

For (name), our bishop, and (name), our pastor, and for all ministers of the Gospel, let us pray to the Lord.
Lord have mercy.

For our nation, its government, and for all who serve and protect us, let us pray to the Lord.
Lord have mercy.

For this city (town, university, monastery…). For every city and community, and for all those living in them, let us pray to the Lord.
Lord have mercy.

For the good earth which God has given us and for the wisdom and will to conserve it, let us pray to the Lord.
Lord have mercy.

For the safety of travelers, the recovery of the sick, the care of the destitute and the release of prisoners, let us pray to the Lord.
Lord have mercy.

For an angel of peace to guide and protect us, let us pray to the Lord.
Lord have mercy.

For a peaceful evening and a night free from sin, let us pray to the Lord.
Lord have mercy.

For a Christian end to our lives and for all who have fallen asleep in Christ, let us pray to the Lord.
Lord have mercy.

In the communion of the Holy Spirit (and of all the saints), let us commend ourselves and one another to the living God through Christ our Lord.
To you, O Lord.

Free Prayer

In silent or spontaneous prayer all bring before God the concerns of the day.

The Collect

Lighten our darkness,
Lord, we pray,
and in your great mercy
defend us from all perils and dangers of this night,
for the love of your only Son,
our Saviour Jesus Christ.
Amen.

The Lord’s Prayer is said.

And now, as our Saviour has taught us,
we are bold to say,

Our Father, who art in heaven,
hallowed be thy name;
thy kingdom come;
thy will be done;
on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our trespasses,
as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation;
but deliver us from evil.
For thine is the kingdom,
the power, and the glory
for ever and ever.
Amen.


Dismissal

Open this link in a new tab to hear the Shaker song, “I Will Bow and Be Simple.”

I will bow and be simple,
I will bow and be free,
I will bow and be humble,
yea, bow like the willow tree.


I will bow and be simple,
I will bow and be free,
I will bow and be humble,
yea, bow like the willow tree.


I will bow, this is the token,
I will wear the easy yoke,
I will bow and be broken,
I will fall upon the rock.


I will bow, this is the token,
I will wear the easy yoke,
I will bow and be broken,
I will fall upon the rock.


I will bow and be simple,
I will bow and be free,
I will bow and be humble,
yea, bow like the willow tree.


I will bow, this is the token,
I will wear the easy yoke,
I will bow and be broken,
I will fall upon the rock.


Let us bless the Lord.
Thanks be to God.

The God of all grace bless us now and forever. Amen.

Comments