Sundays at All Hallows (Sunday, February 26, 2023)


Welcome to Sundays at All Hallows! The best description of All Hallows Murray is an online gathering place for Christians and those exploring the Christian faith. The services of praise, proclamation, and prayer that are offered on this blogsite are not intended to replace those of a local church but are offered for the benefit of those who are unable to attend a local church for any reason, who may be traveling, or who wish to test the water before taking the plunge, or who otherwise may benefit from them.

Opening Hymn:
Open this link in a new tab to hear David Strasser's "Step by Step." [WnS #3004]


O God, You are my God, and I will ever praise You
O God, You are my God, and I will ever praise You
I will seek You in the morning
And I will learn to walk in Your way
And step by step You'll lead me
And I will follow You all of my days

O God, You are my God, and I will ever praise You
O God, You are my God, and I will ever praise You
I will seek You in the morning
And I will learn to walk in Your way
And step by step You'll lead me
And I will follow You all of my days

O God, You are my God, and I will ever praise You
O God, You are my God, and I will ever praise You
I will seek You in the morning
And I will learn to walk in Your way
And step by step You'll lead me
And I will follow You all of my days

And step by step You'll lead me
And I will follow You all of my days

Greeting
Oh, worship the Lord in the beauty of holiness!
Tremble before God, all the earth.


Solo:
Open this link in a new tab to hear Keith and Kristyn Getty’s “My Heart Is Filled with Thankfulness.”

My heart is filled with thankfulness
To Him who bore my pain;
Who plumbed the depths of my disgrace
And gave me life again;
Who crushed my curse of sinfulness
And clothed me in His light
And wrote His law of righteousness
With pow'r upon my heart.

My heart is filled with thankfulness
To Him who walks beside;
Who floods my weaknesses with strength
And causes fears to fly;
Whose ev'ry promise is enough
For ev'ry step I take,
Sustaining me with arms of love
And crowning me with grace.

My heart is filled with thankfulness
To him who reigns above,
Whose wisdom is my perfect peace,
Whose ev'ry thought is love.
For ev'ry day I have on earth
Is given by the King;
So I will give my life, my all,
To love and follow him.

Hymn of Preparation:
Open this link in a new tab to hear Amy Lee Grant and Michael Whitaker Smith’s “Thy Word.” [UMH #601]

Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path
Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path

1 When I feel afraid
Think I've lost my way
Still you're there right beside me
And nothing will I fear
As long as you are near
Please be near me to the end

Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path
Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path

2 I will not forget
Your love for me and yet
My heart forever is wandering
Jesus be my guide
And hold me to your side
I will love you to the end

Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path
Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path
And a light unto my path
And a light unto my path


Let us bow our heads in prayer.

Silence

Your word is indeed a lamp to our feet
and a light to our path.
Be our guide, Glorious One, until life’s end.
Enable us not only to hear your words,
but also, to obey them,
to build our lives on their firm foundation,
loving you, loving others,
loving one another,
to at last enter heaven’s joy.
Grant this our prayer for your love’s sake. Amen.

Scripture Reading:
A reading from the New Testament (Luke 6: 43-49)

“A healthy tree does not bear bad fruit, nor does a poor tree bear good fruit. Every tree is known by the fruit it bears; you do not pick figs from thorn bushes or gather grapes from bramble bushes. A good person brings good out of the treasure of good things in his heart; a bad person brings bad out of his treasure of bad things. For the mouth speaks what the heart is full of.

“Why do you call me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ and yet don't do what I tell you? Anyone who comes to me and listens to my words and obeys them—I will show you what he is like. He is like a man who, in building his house, dug deep and laid the foundation on rock. The river flooded over and hit that house but could not shake it, because it was well built. But anyone who hears my words and does not obey them is like a man who built his house without laying a foundation; when the flood hit that house it fell at once—and what a terrible crash that was!”

Silence

This is the word of the Lord.
Thanks be to God.

Plain Talk: A Tree and Its Fruit; The Two House Builders

If you are not familiar with fruit trees, fig trees, thorn bushes, grape vines, and bramble bushes, what Jesus is saying in the first part of today’s New Testament reading may not make a lot of sense to you. My mother, my older brother, and I lived with my grandparents during my childhood and teen years. We were a multigenerational family, three generations living together under one roof. The year after I began elementary school my grandfather retired to pursue his dream of becoming a farmer. He bought some land, an orchard, and a cottage in Suffolk, and we moved to Suffolk. My mother initially taught school in a district that was some distance from where we lived but later became the head teacher of a village school in a nearby village.

During the time we lived in Suffolk, I learned something about fruit trees and bramble bushes. We grew apples and plums, and my older brother went blackberry picking on the common. After we immigrated to the United States and eventually settled in what was then a rural district 30 odd miles north of New Orleans across Lake Pontchartrain, I also learned about fig trees and grape vines. We had a fig tree and my grandfather planted grapevines on one side of the kitchen garden. We also had a persimmon tree and a peach tree. I became acquainted with thorn bushes while on vacation in Oklahoma and West Texas.

Healthy apple trees produce plump, juicy apples free from worms. Unhealthy, diseased apple trees produce fruit that is wizened and wormy if they produce fruit at all. The kind of thorn bushes with which Jesus’ audience was familiar had long, sharp thorns You cannot mistake them for a leafy green fig tree. Neither can you mistake a bramble bush for a grape vine. Grapes grow in clusters on the branches of a grape vine, but blackberries grow individually on the branches of a rough, tangled, prickly shrub. Picking grapes is a lot easier than picking blackberries. You can eat the leaves of a grape vine as well as the grapes. Blackberry leaves can be only brewed into a herbal tea.

After telling them that a tree is known by the fruit that it bears, Jesus goes on to tell his followers and the crowd that the words that we speak comes from whatever we have stored in our hearts, in other words, they come from our innermost thoughts and desires. We are likely to say kind, pleasant words and perform friendly, helpful acts because those are the kinds of thoughts and desires in our innermost selves. On the other hand, we are likely to say hateful, unpleasant things and perform cruel, malicious acts because we are harboring those kinds of thoughts and desires. Like an unhealthy, diseased tree we produce unhealthy, diseased fruit. 

For this reason, it is a good idea for followers of Jesus to take control of innermost thoughts and desires and to not allow evil thoughts and desires to flourish in our innermost selves. Rather we need to nourish good thoughts and desires in our hearts. This we can do by not only studying what Jesus taught and practiced but also by living it. Disciples not only believe in the ideas and principles of their teacher but also they try to live by them, to live the way that their teacher does or did. In this way we internalize what Jesus taught and practiced and make it a part of our own character.

In the second part of today’s New Testament reading Jesus emphasizes the importance of listening to his words and obeying them. Jesus first asks his followers and the crowd, why they call him “Lord” when they do not do what he tells them. Their words are empty. They do not mean what they are saying. If they truly regarded him as their lord, they would do what he tells them.

Jesus goes on to compare those who listen to his words and obey them with someone who builds a house on a foundation of solid rock, a house that, when a river bursts its banks and floods the land, remains standing. He compares those who do not do what he tells them to someone who built a house without first laying a foundation so that, when the river overflows its banks, the house collapses.

One criticism leveled at modern-day Christians is that they live lives that are indistinguishable from the lives of their neighbors who do not claim to be Christians. Based upon the way they live, the one who has the most power and influence over their lives is not Jesus. It is themselves. The one enthroned in their innermost thoughts and feelings, what Scripture calls the “heart” is not Jesus but self.

This would not be surprising if they did not identify themselves as Christians because our modern-day culture emphasizes self. What Jesus is telling his disciples and the crowd is that if they build their lives on any foundation beside his teaching, they are building their lives on a very shaky foundation if it can be considered a foundation at all. That includes building our lives on self.

In our day and age what Jesus is telling his disciples and the crowd is counter-cultural and radical. We have set self on a pedestal. What may be the hardest thing for us to do is to let Jesus take the place of self in our lives.

When Jesus calls us to follow him, he is calling us to do just that, to let him take the place of self in our lives, to accept his lordship over our lives, to hear his words and to obey them, to not just believe in the truths and principles that he taught but also to live by them, to emulate him. This is why Jesus urged those who offered to follow him to first count the cost. There is much to be gained by following Jesus, far more than we may realize. At the same time, we also may have to give up much. Jesus did not lead those who would be his disciples to believe otherwise.

What then is the connection between the first part of today’s New Testament reading and the second part? A true disciple of Jesus, one for whom Jesus is indeed their Lord, will be like a good tree that bears good fruit. Their words and actions will reflect the truths and principles of his teaching that they treasure in their hearts. They will exhibit the same qualities of character that he did—compassion, faithfulness, forgiveness, generosity, gentleness, humility, joyfulness, kindness, long-suffering, meekness, mercifulness, open-handedness, patience, truthfulness, trustworthiness, all the things that are good and noble and true in a human being. Others will be able to look at their lives and be able to say, “Yes, Jesus is the one who has power and authority over that person’s life. Jesus is the greatest influence in that individual’s life. There can be no doubt about it!”

How do others see us? If we identify ourselves as followers of Jesus, how faithfully do we reflect him and his teaching? The season of Lent is a good time to give some thought to these questions and answer them. If we are not happy with our answers, it is also a good time to begin doing something about the things about ourselves with which we are unhappy. 

Silence

Hymn of Response:
Open the link in a new tab to hear Edwin Hatch’s “O Breathe on Me, O Breath of God.” [UMH #420]*

O breathe on me, O breath of God,
Fill me with life anew
That I may love the things you love,
And do what you would do.

O breathe on me, O breath of God,
Until my heart is pure;
Until my will is one with yours,
To do and to endure.

O breathe on me, O breath of God,
My will to yours incline,
Until this selfish part of me
Glows with your fire divine.

O breathe on me, O breath of God,
So shall I never die,
But live with you the perfect life
For all eternity.


*The text has been slightly altered to permit the use of the traditional Irish melody ST. COLUMBA [UMH #138].

Concerns and Prayers
The following is prayed, during which any person may offer a brief prayer of intercession or petition.

After each prayer, the leader may conclude: Loving God and all may respond: Hear our prayer.

Pray for the Church throughout the world – that the Spirit will revive and refresh the Church in every part…

Pray for our local church and the churches in our area – that we may be waiting attentively for the ways God is speaking through the Spirit…

Pray for those who come to our church, and for those on the fringes - that they may have an assurance of God’s love and know that they are saved through Christ…

Pray for those who are in leadership in the Church - that they may be strengthened and upheld in their ministries…

Pray for those whom we know who do not know of God’s love – for friends or family, for neighbors or colleagues, that God’s Spirit may fill their hearts…

Pray for the Kingdom of God - that it may break through in us and among us, that the earth may be filled with the glory of God…

Pray for ourselves - that God’s Spirit will speak in our hearts, that we may be bold to proclaim the gospel in our words and actions…

Other biddings may be added here to reflect local circumstances.

We make our prayers in the name of Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior, as we join in the words that he himself has taught us:

Our Father, who art in heaven,
hallowed be thy name,
thy kingdom come,
thy will be done,
on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our trespasses,
as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil.
For thine is the kingdom,
the power, and the glory,
for ever and ever. Amen.

Closing Hymn:
Open this link in a new tab to hear John Wimber’s “Spirit Song.” [UMH # 347]

Oh let the Son of God enfold you
With His Spirit and His love
Let Him fill your heart and satisfy your soul
Oh let Him have those things that hold you
And His Spirit like a dove
Will descend upon your life and make you whole


Jesus oh Jesus Come and fill Your lambs
Jesus oh Jesus Come and fill Your lambs


Oh come and sing this song with gladness
As your hearts are filled with joy
Lift your hands in sweet surrender to His name
Oh give Him all your tears and sadness
Give Him all your years of pain
And you'll enter into life in Jesus' name


Jesus oh Jesus Come and fill Your lambs
Jesus oh Jesus Come and fill Your lambs


Oh let the Son of God enfold you
With His Spirit and His love
Let Him fill your heart and satisfy your soul
Oh let Him have those things that hold you
And His Spirit like a dove
Will descend upon your life and make you whole
Will descend upon your life and make you whole

Benediction:
May the Lord bless us and keep us,
May the Lord make his face to shine on us and be gracious to us,
May the Lord look on us with kindness and give us peace. Amen.

Comments