All Hallows Evening Prayer for Saturday Evening (November 20, 2021)

 


Evening Prayer

The Service of Light

Jesus Christ is the light of the world.
A light no darkness can extinguish.

Open this link in a new tab to hear Joyous Light of Glorious God from Kent Gustavson’s Mountain Vespers.

Joyous light of glorious God,
heavenly, holy, Jesus Christ,
We have come to the setting of the Sun
and we look to the ev’ning light.
We sing to Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
Our voices pure voices together.
O precious God, giver of life,
we sing your praises forever.


Joyous light of glorious God,
heavenly, holy, Jesus Christ,
We have come to the setting of the Sun
and we look to the ev’ning light.
We sing to Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
Our voices pure voices together.
O precious God, giver of life,
we sing your praises forever.


Thanksgiving

Let us give thanks to the Lord our God.
It is right to give our thanks and praise.

Blessed are you, Creator of the universe,
from old you have led your people by night and day.
May the light of your Christ make our darkness bright,
for your Word and your presence are the light of our pathways,
and you are the light and life of all creation.
Amen.

Psalm 141 is sung and incense may be burned.

Open this link in a new tab to hear Psalm 141 from Kent Gustavson's Mountain Vespers.

Let my prayer rise before you as incense,
the lifting up of my hands as the evening sacrifice.

O God, I call you; come to me quickly;
Hear my voice when I cry to you.

Let my prayer rise before you as incense,
the lifting up of my hands as the evening sacrifice.

Set a watch before my mouth,
and guard the doors of my lips.
Let not my heart incline to any evil thing;
Never occupied in wickedness.

Let my prayer rise before you as incense,
the lifting up of my hands as the evening sacrifice.

My eyes are turned to you, O God,
in you I take refuge.
My eyes are turned to you, O God,
Strip me not of my life.

Let my prayer rise before you as incense,
the lifting up of my hands as the evening sacrifice.

Silence is kept.

May our prayers come before you, O God, as incense, and may your presence surround and fill us, so that in union with all creation, we might sing your praise and your love in our lives. Amen.

The Psalms

Open this link to hear Karen Young Wimberly’s adaptation of Psalm 139, "You Have Searched Me."

You have searched me and known me, Holy Lord;
Know when I sit and rise
You’re acquainted with my ways
Where I go and where I lie

You know each word completely,
before I speak it, Lord
You lay your hand upon me;
hem me in behind, before

Where can I flee from your spirit;
Or from your presence go?
If I rise up to the heavens,
Or descend to the depths below

If I take the wings of the dawn to
the far side of the sea,
Even there, your hand will hold me fast,
your right hand will guide me.

For you formed my inmost being,
within my mother’s womb
When I dwelt within that secret place,
I was not hid from you

You ordained that the days before me
be filled with love and grace,
Made me beautiful and wonderful,
for this I give you praise

How precious is your every thought,
how vast the sum of them
Though I try to count them,
they are more than every grain of sand

O that you would pull down the ones who
do harm and seek to gain
My heart is heavy and I long
for goodness and love to reign

Search me, O God, and know my heart;
know every anxious thought
And lead me on the path of
your everlasting way.

Silence is kept.

Creator God,
may every breath we take be for your glory,
may every footstep show you as our way,
that, trusting in your presence in this world,
we may, beyond this life, still be with you
where you are alive and reign
for ever and ever.
Amen.

The Proclamation of the Word

The Reading

1 John 5: 18-21 Our certain knowledge

We know that the true child of God does not sin, he is in the charge of God’s own Son and the evil one must keep his distance.

We know that we ourselves are children of God, and we also know that the world around us is under the power of the evil one. We know too that the Son of God has actually come to this world, and has shown us the way to know the one who is true. We know that our real life is in the true one, and in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the real God and this is real, eternal life.

But be on your guard, my dear children, against every false god!

Silence is kept.

May your word live in us
and bear much fruit to your glory

The Homily

What or Who Is Your God?

In my last homily I mentioned Phil Cooke’s observation that many who call themselves Christians live like functional atheists during the week: they live as if there is no God. Throughout his first letter the apostle John points over and over again to our attention that those who act this way are not true children of God.

Being a child of God involves far more than going to a church meeting on Sundays and listening to a praise band sing worship songs and to a pastor preach a sermon. Being a child of God involves genuinely living the life of a disciple of Jesus. Jesus’ influence is clearly seen working in our lives and not the world’s influence.

Today’s reading are the closing passages of John’s first letter. In the first passage John reiterates that a true child does not sin. John is not talking about sinless perfection. Rather a true child does not persist in what they know grieves God. 

They may on occasion stray from the way that Jesus has shown us but they return to that way as the needle of a compass returns to the magnetic north if a magnet is removed from the side of the compass. The compass needle may swing toward the magnet while it is there but swings back to the magnetic north once the magnet is taken away. God’s grace is working in their lives and with the nudging of the Holy Spirit keeps them moving in the right direction, keeps their feet on the right path, on the way that leads to life.

Those who are children of God know, as John puts it, that their real life is in the God and Father of Jesus, whom Jesus revealed to us in his character, teaching, and example, and in Jesus himself. The God and Father of Jesus is the real God and knowing him and Jesus whom he sent is real eternal life.

John’s final words are a warning, “…be on your guard, my dear children, against every false god!”

What then are some of today’s false gods, those for which we should keep careful watch? 

Perhaps the most common of such false gods are our mistaken perceptions of the real God. One is what may be described as the overindulgent God. Whatever we do, this false god nods his head approvingly or winks an eye and says, “Boys will be boys.” Or “Girls will be girls.” This false god is a God who does not care what we do, a God that we can easily ignore. We may turn to this false god when we need help, but we should not be surprised if he does not answer our prayers. This false god is not a loving God but an indifferent God. He is a step away from no God at all.

A second common misperception of the real God is the angry, wrathful God who looks disapprovingly on everything that we do and is ready to pounce on us for the smallest wrongdoing. He is the angry father of our childhood who was impossible to please and who never let us forget our failures. He is the mean, unbending teacher of our school days, who was the terror of their students and doled out the harshest punishments for the slightest infraction of the rules. It is a view of God that is reinforced by the judgmentalism and self-righteousness of some who identify themselves as Christians and with the judgmentalism and self-righteousness of these self-identified Christians is used as a justification, or rationalization, for rejecting Jesus.

A third common perception of the real God is the tribal God, a mistaken perception of God which we have increasingly encountered in the last several years. This false god shares and endorses our views of the pandemic, our views of face masks and other public health safety measure, our views on vaccination, our political opinions, our favorite political candidates, our political party, our take on race, immigration, climate change, and other key issues. He blesses us and curses our enemies. He does not restrain us when we mistreat those who are not members of our tribe. Love is only for members of our tribe.

These three common misperceptions of the real God are not the only false gods against which we must be vigilant, but they are the three false gods that we can expect to encounter the most often. They are not the God and Father of Jesus—the real God who is slow to anger, rich in mercy, and ready to forgive; the real God who is good even to the wicked and the ungrateful; the real God who desires mercy, not sacrifice; the real God who so loved the world that he sent his only begotten Son that all who believe in him might not perish but have everlasting life.

Whenever we put something or someone in the place that the real God and Jesus whom he sent should occupy in our lives, we are bowing down to a false god. It may be what people agree is a good cause but if it takes their place, it is an idol.

Before we draw the attention of others to the false gods that they may be worshiping, we should carefully examine our own lives for the false gods to whom we may be bowing. Are the real God and Jesus what matters most in our lives? If not, what or who is taking God and Jesus’ place in our lives?

Silence is kept.

The Gospel Canticle

Open this link in a new tab to hear the Magnificat from Kent Gustavson’s Mountain Vespers.

My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord.
My spirit rejoices in God my Savior.
For you have looked with favor on your lowly servant;
from this day all generations will call me blessed.

1 You O God have done great things
and holy is your name.
You have mercy on those who fear you
n ev’ry generation.

My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord.
My spirit rejoices in God my Savior.
For you have looked with favor on your lowly servant;
from this day all generations will call me blessed.

2 You have shown the strength of your arm,
you have scattered the proud in their conceit.
You have cast the might down from thrones
and have lifted up the lowly.

My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord.
My spirit rejoices in God my Savior.
For you have looked with favor on your lowly servant;
from this day all generations will call me blessed.

3 You have filled the hungry with good things,
the rich you have sent away empty.
You have come to the help of your servant Israel
you’ve remembered your promise of mercy.
The promise you made
to Sarah and Abraham.

My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord.
My spirit rejoices in God my Savior.
For you have looked with favor on your lowly servant;
from this day all generations will call me blessed.

Glory to you, O Lord our God
With your love and power.
Glory to you, O Lord our God
With your love and power.
Amen

Intercessions

Let us complete our evening prayer to the Lord.
Lord have mercy.

For peace from on high and our salvation, let us pray to the Lord.
Lord have mercy.

For the welfare of all churches and for the unity of the human family, let us pray to the Lord.
Lord have mercy.

For (name), our bishop, and (name), our pastor, and for all ministers of the Gospel, let us pray to the Lord.
Lord have mercy.

For our nation, its government, and for all who serve and protect us, let us pray to the Lord.
Lord have mercy.

For this city (town, university, monastery…). For every city and community, and for all those living in them, let us pray to the Lord.
Lord have mercy.

For the good earth which God has given us and for the wisdom and will to conserve it, let us pray to the Lord.
Lord have mercy.

For the safety of travelers, the recovery of the sick, the care of the destitute and the release of prisoners, let us pray to the Lord.
Lord have mercy.

For an angel of peace to guide and protect us, let us pray to the Lord.
Lord have mercy.

For a peaceful evening and a night free from sin, let us pray to the Lord.
Lord have mercy.

For a Christian end to our lives and for all who have fallen asleep in Christ, let us pray to the Lord.
Lord have mercy.

In the communion of the Holy Spirit (and of all the saints), let us commend ourselves and one another to the living God through Christ our Lord.
To you, O Lord.

Free Prayer

In silent or spontaneous prayer all bring before God the concerns of the day.

The Collect

In darkness and in light,
in trouble and in joy,
help us, heavenly Father,
to trust your love,
to serve your purpose,
and to praise your name,
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.


The Lord's Prayer

And now, as our Saviour has taught us,
we are bold to say,

Our Father, who art in heaven,
hallowed be thy name;
thy kingdom come;
thy will be done;
on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our trespasses,
as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation;
but deliver us from evil.
For thine is the kingdom,
the power, and the glory
for ever and ever.
Amen.


Dismissal

Open this link in a new tab to hear Timothy Dudley Smith’s paraphrase of Psalm 63, “God Is My Great Desire.”

God is my great desire
his face I seek the first;
to him my heart and soul aspire,
for him I thirst.
As one in desert lands,
whose very flesh is flame,
in burning love I lift my hands
and bless his Name.


God is my true delight,
my richest feast his praise,
through silent watches of the night,
through all my days.
To him my spirit clings,
on him my soul is cast;
beneath the shadow of his wings
he holds me fast.


God is my strong defence
in every evil hour;
in him I face with confidence
the tempter's power.
I trust his mercy sure,
with truth and triumph crowned:
my hope and joy for evermore
in him are found.


The Lord be with you.
The Lord bless you.
Let us praise the Lord,
Thanks be to God.

May the Lord bless and protect us
May he show us mercy and kindness
May the Lord be good to us and give us peace

Numbers 6: 24-26

Comments