All Hallows Evening Prayer for Saturday Evening (September 12, 2020)



Evening Prayer

The Service of Light

Jesus Christ is the light of the world.
A light no darkness can extinguish.


1 O gracious Light,
pure brightness of the
everliving Father in heaven.
O Jesus, Christ, holy and blessed!

2 Now as we come to the setting of the sun,
and our eyes behold the vesper light,
we sing thy praises, O God:
Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

3 Thou art worthy at all times
to be praised by happy voices,
O Son of God, O Giver of life,
and to be glorified through all the worlds.

Thanksgiving

Let us give thanks to the Lord our God.
It is right to give our thanks and praise.

God our Father, we give you thanks
for all your gifts freely bestowed upon us;
for the beauty and wonder of your creation,
in earth and sky and sea; for all that is gracious
in the lives of men and women, revealing the light of Christ;
for minds to muse and hearts to love and hands to serve;
for health and strength to work,
for leisure to rest and play;
for communion with your saints,
in all times and places,
and above all for the great promises and mercies
given to us in Christ Jesus our Lord.
To him be praise and glory,
with you and the Holy Spirit, now and forever. Amen.

Psalm 141 is sung and incense may be burned.

O Lord, let my prayer rise before you like incense,
my hands like an evening offering.

1. Lord, I am calling:
hasten to help me.
Listen to me as I cry to you.
Let my prayer rise before you like incense,
my hands like an evening offering.

O Lord, let my prayer rise before you like incense,
my hands like an evening offering.

2. Lord, set a guard at my mouth,
keep watch at the gate of my lips.
Let my heart not turn to things that are wrong,
to sharing the evil deeds done by the sinful.
No, I will never taste their delights.

O Lord, let my prayer rise before you like incense,
my hands like an evening offering.

3. The good may reprove me,
in kindness chastise me,
but the wicked shall never anoint my head.
Ev’ry day I counter their malice with prayer.

O Lord, let my prayer rise before you like incense,
my hands like an evening offering.

4 To you, Lord, my God, my eyes are turned:
in you I take refuge;
do not forsake me.
Keep me from the traps they have set for me,
from the snares of those who do evil.

O Lord, let my prayer rise before you like incense,
my hands like an evening offering.

5 Praise to the Father, praise to the Son,
all praise to the life-giving Spirit.
As it was, is now and shall always be
for ages unending. Amen.     

O Lord, let my prayer rise before you as incense,
my hands like an evening offering.

Silence is kept.

Let the incense of our repentant prayer ascend before you, O Lord, and let your loving kindness descend upon us, that with purified minds we may sing your praises with the Church on earth and the whole heavenly host, and may glorify you forever and ever. Amen.

The Psalms

O God, you search me, and you know me
All my thoughts lie open to your gaze
When I walk or lie down, you are before me
Ever the maker and keeper of my days.

You know my resting and my rising
You discern my purpose from afar
And with love everlasting, you besiege me
In ev'ry moment of life or death, you are.

Before a word is on my tongue, Lord
You have known its meaning through and through
You are with me beyond my understanding
God of my present, my past and future, too.

Although your Spirit is upon me
Still I search for shelter from your light
There is nowhere on Earth I can escape you
Even the darkness is radiant in your sight.

For you created me and shaped me
Gave me life within my mother’s womb
For the wonder of who I am, I praise you.
Safe in your hands, all creation is made new

Silence is kept.

Creator God,
may every breath we take be for your glory,
may every footstep show you as our way,
that, trusting in your presence in this world,
we may, beyond this life, still be with you
where you are alive and reign
for ever and ever.
Amen.

The Proclamation of the Word

The Reading

A reading from the first letter of Peter.

All of you must clothe yourselves with humility in your dealings with one another, for “God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble.”
Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, so that he may exalt you in due time. Cast all your anxiety on him, because he cares for you. Discipline yourselves, keep alert. Like a roaring lion your adversary the devil prowls around, looking for someone to devour. Resist him, steadfast in your faith, for you know that your brothers and sisters in all the world are undergoing the same kinds of suffering. And after you have suffered for a little while, the God of all grace, who has called you to his eternal glory in Christ, will himself restore, support, strengthen, and establish you. To him be the power forever and ever. Amen.

Silence is kept.

The Word of the Lord
Thanks be to God

The Homily

The Mind That Was In Christ

“God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble.” Repeat those words to yourself. Let them sink in. “God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble.”

What distinguishes the humble from everyone else? What sets them apart?

The humble do not have an over-inflated opinion of themselves. They recognize that we all fall short in many ways. We all “miss the mark.”

At one time archery was a popular sport in England. The men of the village would gather on the village green with their long bows and would shoot arrows at straw targets. In the center of each target was “the mark.” The best archers could hit the mark or come close to it. The poorer archers, however, missed the mark. Their arrows fell short of the target or overflew the target.

The humble take an honest view of themselves. They acknowledge their weaknesses, limitations, and flaws. They do not pretend to be what they are not.

The humble are modest and self-effacing. They do not claim attention for themselves. They do not seek the spotlight or brag about their accomplishments.

The humble  recognize that in the scheme of life we are not as important as we might like to think that we are. If they are praised, they accept the praise graciously and authentically. They do not practice false humility—fish for praise from others and then dismiss their praise, “Oh, it was nothing.”

The humble have an attitude of gratitude toward God and toward others. They recognize that we are dependent upon God’s grace, the power of his loving presence in our lives, for the good that we do. We are able to please God because God himself is busily working in us to will and do what pleases God.

The humble appreciate the help that others have given them, the difference that others have made in their lives. They will give those who helped them credit where they deserve credit.

The humble hold positions, power, and titles lightly.  They do not use a position or title to define their self-worth. They hold these things loosely and use them to do good whenever they can.  

What is most important to the humble is their relationship with God. It is in that relationship which they find fulfillment. Everything else fades into insignificance.

The humble focus on serving others. They take to heart our Lord’s words, “…let the greatest among you become as the youngest, and the leader as one who serves. For who is the greater, one who reclines at table or one who serves? Is it not the one who reclines at table? But I am among you as the one who serves” (Luke 22: 26-27, NRSV).

For the humble our Lord himself exemplifies the humbleness with which they desire to walk with God.  “Let each of you look not to your own interests, but to the interests of others. Let the same mind be in you that was in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not regard equality with God as something to be exploited,  but emptied himself, taking the form of a slave, being born in human likeness. And being found in human form, he humbled himself and became obedient to the point of death—even death on a cross” (Philippians 2:4-8, NRSV).

Do we as a Christian have the same mind in us as was in Christ Jesus? Do our lives reflect that mind, the mind of the one who died on a cross for our sake?
   
Silence is kept.

The Gospel Canticle


My soul proclaims your greatness, Lord;
I sing my Savior’s praise!
You looked upon my lowliness,
and I am full of grace.
Now ev’ry land and ev’ry age
this blessing shall proclaim—
great wonders you have done for me,
and holy is your name.

To all who live in holy fear
Your mercy ever flows.
With mighty arm you dash the proud,
Their scheming hearts expose.
The ruthless you have cast aside,
the lowly throned instead;
the hungry filled with all good things,
the rich sent off unfed.

To Israel, your servant blest,
your help is ever sure;
the promise to our parents made
their children will secure.
Sing glory to the Holy One,
give honor to the Word,
and praise the Pow’r of the Most High,
one God, by all adored,
on God, by all adored.

   Intercessions

Let us complete our evening prayer to the Lord.
Lord have mercy.

For peace from on high and our salvation, let us pray to the Lord.
Lord have mercy.

For the welfare of all churches and for the unity of the human family, let us pray to the Lord.
Lord have mercy.

For (name), our bishop, and (name), our pastor, and for all ministers of the Gospel, let us pray to the Lord.
Lord have mercy.

For our nation, its government, and for all who serve and protect us, let us pray to the Lord.
Lord have mercy.

For this city (town, university, monastery…). For every city and community, and for all those living in them, let us pray to the Lord.
Lord have mercy.

For the good earth which God has given us and for the wisdom and will to conserve it, let us pray to the Lord.
Lord have mercy.

For the safety of travelers, the recovery of the sick, the care of the destitute and the release of prisoners, let us pray to the Lord.
Lord have mercy.

For an angel of peace to guide and protect us, let us pray to the Lord.
Lord have mercy.

For a peaceful evening and a night free from sin, let us pray to the Lord.
Lord have mercy.

For a Christian end to our lives and for all who have fallen asleep in Christ, let us pray to the Lord.
Lord have mercy.

In the communion of the Holy Spirit (and of all the saints), let us commend ourselves and one another to the living God through Christ our Lord.
To you, O Lord.

Free Prayer

In silent or spontaneous prayer all bring before God the concerns of the day.

The Collect

Lighten our darkness,
Lord, we pray,
and in your great mercy
defend us from all perils and dangers of this night,
for the love of your only Son,
our Savior Jesus Christ.
Amen.
  

The Lord’s Prayer is said

And now, as our Savior has taught us,
we are bold to say,

Our Father, who art in heaven,
hallowed be thy name;
thy kingdom come;
thy will be done;
on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our trespasses,
as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation;
but deliver us from evil.
For thine is the kingdom,
the power, and the glory
for ever and ever.
Amen.

Dismissal


Who will bow and bend like a willow,
who will turn and twist and reel,
in the gale of simple freedom,
from the bower of union flowing?

Refrain:
I will bow and be simple,
I will bow and be free,
I will bow and be humble,
yea, bow like the willow tree.

Who will bow, this is the token,
who will wear the easy yoke,
who will bow and be broken,
who will fall upon the rock? [Refrain]

Who will drink the wine of power,
dropping down like a shower,
pride and bondage all forgetting?
The Lord's wine is freely working. [Refrain]
  
Oh, ho! Who will have it,
who will bow and bend to get it?
We'll be reeling, turning, twisting,
shake out all the starch and stiff'ning! [Refrain]

Let us bless the Lord.
Thanks be to God.

The God of all grace bless us now and forever. Amen

Comments