All Hallows Evening Prayer for Wednesday Evening (August 5, 2020)


Evening Prayer

The Service of Light

Jesus Christ is the light of the world.
A light no darkness can extinguish.


O Light whose splendor thrills and gladdens
with radiance brighter than the sun,
pure gleam of God's unending glory,
O Jesus, blest Anointed One;

as twilight hovers near at sunset,
and lamps are lit, and children nod,
in evening hymns we lift our voices
to Father, Spirit, Son: one God.

In all life's brilliant, timeless moments,
let faithful voices sing your praise,
O Son of God, our Life-bestower,
whose glory lightens endless days.

Thanksgiving

Let us give thanks to the Lord our God.
It is right to give our thanks and praise.

We praise you, O Lord our God, Ruler of the universe!
Your word brings on the dusk of evening,
your wisdom creates both night and day.
You determine the cycles of time,
arrange the succession of the seasons,
and establish the stars in their heavenly courses.
Lord of the starry hosts is your name.
Living and eternal God,
rule over us always.
Blessed be the Lord,
whose word makes evening fall.
Amen.

Psalm 141 is sung and incense may be burned.


O God, my Lord, on thee I call,
do thou make hast to me:
and hearken thou unto my voice,
when I cry unto thee.

And let my prayer directed be
as incense in thy sight:
my hands uplifted unto thee
as sacrifice at night.

Jehovah, oh that thou would’st set
a watch my mouth before:
as also of my lips with care
O do thou keep the door.

Bow not my heart to evil things;
to do the wicked deed
with wicked workers: and let not
me of their dainties feed.

Like unto one who on the earth
doth cut and cleave the wood,
even so our bones at the graves mouth
are scatter’d all abroad.

But unto thee O God, the Lord
directed are mine eyes;
my soul, O leave not destitute,
on thee my hope relies.

Silence is kept.

Let the incense of our repentant prayer ascend before you, O Lord, and let your loving kindness descend upon us, that with purified minds we may sing your praises with the Church on earth and the whole heavenly host, and may glorify you forever and ever. Amen.

The Psalms


My Shepherd will supply my need;
Jehovah is His Name:
In pastures fresh He makes me feed,
Beside the living stream.
He brings my wandering spirit back
When I forsake His ways,
And leads me, for His mercy’s sake,
In paths of truth and grace.

When I walk through the shades of death
Thy presence is my stay;
One word of thy supporting breath
Drives all my fears away.
Thy hand, in sight of all my foes,
Does still my table spread;
My cup with blessings overflows,
Thy oil anoints my head.

The sure provisions of my God
Attend me all my days;
O may Thy house be my abode,
And all my work be praise.
There would I find a settled rest,
While others go and come;
No more a stranger, or a guest,
But like a child at home.

Silence is kept.

O God, our sovereign and shepherd,
who brought again your Son Jesus Christ
from the valley of death,
comfort us with your protecting presence
and your angels of goodness and love,
that we also may come home
and dwell with him in your house for ever.
Amen.

The Proclamation of the Word

The Reading

A reading from Paul’s letter to the Ephesians (Eph. 5:1-2)

Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children, and live in love, as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us, a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.

The Word of the Lord.
Thanks be to God.

The Homily

Live in Love

This short passage in Paul’s letter to the Ephesians comes at the end of a series of longer passages (Eph. 4:1-32) in which Paul pleads with the members of the church at Ephesus to lead a life worthy of the calling to which they were called. It prefaces a series of longer passages (Eph. 5: 3-20)  in which he urges them to renounce their former ways and to be careful how they live, making most of the time, because the days are evil. In the passage Paul’s echoes the words of Jesus. He urges the Ephesians to model their own character on God’s. He also urges them to show the same kind of self-sacrificing love that Jesus showed.

In a time when many of us are so caught up in the controversies of the day that we are indistinguishable from those who are not followers of Jesus, it is a message that we need to hear and to hear again. It is also a message that we need to heed.

Take time during the next few days to read not only this passage but also the ones that precede and follow it and reflect on them. There is much to learn from them about how we should live as followers of Jesus. Many of the controversies in which Christian are becoming embroiled are no more than “fruitless works of darkness.” They need to be exposed for what they are.

As Paul drew to the attention of the church at Ephesus, “For once you were darkness, but now in the Lord you are light. Live as children of light— for the fruit of the light is found in all that is good and right and true.

Silence is kept.

The Gospel Canticle


Refrain:
My soul proclaims with wonder
the greatness of the Lord;
rejoicing in God's goodness,
my spirit is restored.

For God has looked with favor,
on one the world thought frail;
and blessings through the ages will echo
the angel's first "All hail." [Refrain]

God's mercy shields the faithful
and gives them safe retreat
to arms that turns to scatter
the proud in their conceit. [Refrain]

The mighty have been vanquished;
the lowly lifted up.
The hungry find abundance;
the rich, an empty cup. [Refrain]

To Abraham's descendants
the Lord will steadfast prove,
for God has made with Israel
a covenant of love. [Refrain]

Intercessions

Let us complete our evening prayer to the Lord.
Lord have mercy.
For peace from on high and our salvation, let us pray to the Lord.
Lord have mercy.
For the welfare of all churches and for the unity of the human family, let us pray to the Lord.
Lord have mercy.
For (name), our bishop, and (name), our pastor, and for all ministers of the Gospel, let us pray to the Lord.
Lord have mercy.
For our nation, its government, and for all who serve and protect us, let us pray to the Lord.
Lord have mercy.
For this city (town, university, monastery…). For every city and community, and for all those living in them, let us pray to the Lord.
Lord have mercy.
For the good earth which God has given us and for the wisdom and will to conserve it, let us pray to the Lord.
Lord have mercy.
For the safety of travelers, the recovery of the sick, the care of the destitute and the release of prisoners, let us pray to the Lord.
Lord have mercy.
For an angel of peace to guide and protect us, let us pray to the Lord.
Lord have mercy.
For a peaceful evening and a night free from sin, let us pray to the Lord.
Lord have mercy.
For a Christian end to our lives and for all who have fallen asleep in Christ, let us pray to the Lord.
Lord have mercy.
In the communion of the Holy Spirit (and of all the saints), let us commend ourselves and one another to the living God through Christ our Lord.
To you, O Lord.

Free Prayer

In silent or spontaneous prayer all bring before God the concerns of the day.

The Collect

Lighten our darkness,
Lord, we pray,
and in your great mercy
defend us from all perils and dangers of this night,
for the love of your only Son,
our Saviour Jesus Christ.
Amen.

The Lord’s Prayer is said

And now, as our Saviour has taught us,
we are bold to say,

Our Father, who art in heaven,
hallowed be thy name;
thy kingdom come;
thy will be done;
on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our trespasses,
as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation;
but deliver us from evil.
For thine is the kingdom,
the power, and the glory
for ever and ever.
Amen.

Dismissal

Open this link in a new tab to hear Robert Lowry's, "My Life Flows on in Endless Song"

1 My life flows on in endless song;
Above earth’s lamentation.
I hear the real though far-off hymn
That hails a new creation.

Refrain:
No storm can shake my inmost calm,
While to that rock I’m clinging.
Since Love is Lord of heaven and earth,
How can I keep from singing?

2 Through all the tumult and the strife,
I hear that music ringing;
It sounds and echoes in my soul;
How can I keep from singing? [Refrain]

3 What though the tempest 'round me roar,
I hear the truth it liveth.
What though the darkness 'round me close,
Songs in the night it giveth. [Refrain]

4 When tyrants tremble, sick with fear,
And hear their death knells ringing;
When friends rejoice both far and near,
How can I keep from singing? [Refrain]

5 The peace of Christ makes fresh my heart,
A fountain ever springing.
All things are mine since I am his;
How can I keep from singing? [Refrain]

Let us bless the Lord.
Thanks be to God.

The Lord bless us and keep us.
The Lord make his face to shine upon us
and be gracious to us.
The Lord lift up his countenance upon us
and give us peace. Amen

Comments